Title of piece:
Joe Pete Got Two WomenPerformer:
John Delafose and the Eunice PlayboysCulture or Origin
Zydeco music of the Creole speakers of LouisianaOrchestration:
Accordion, Guitar, Bass, Drums and Rubboard
This is a recoding of John Delafose and the Eunice Playboys performing the piece Joe Pete Got Two Women. John Delafose was an accordion player from Louisiana, whose staccato style is imitated by most modern Zydeco performers. This style of music, Zydeco, is one type of music performed by the Creole speaking people of Louisiana. Zydeco is traditionally intended for use as dance music or music for social gatherings and usually features an accordion and rubboards.
Zydeco music and the Creole-speaking people represent one microculture of the American macroculture. Presenting this style of music to students would require an understanding of the musical concepts that were used by the performers and composer to create the music in addition to an understanding of the sound patterns used in the musical product. The study of ethnomusicology could help a teacher realize the importance of not only the musical product created but also the process used to create the music and the function of the music. This realization by the teacher could then help students to listen more respectfully by explaining the process and historical foundation of the music instead of just listening to the musical product and comparing it to their own musical culture without any context.
This is a cool piece and I've never heard of Zydeco music before. I've been trying to plan a trip to New Orleans for some time now to hear the music from that area as it has much to offer the listener. The call and response between the accordion and singer make it relate-able as I feel like I'm having a musical conversation with someone across the table. The quick upbeat staccato sound is catchy and makes me want to dance. I also liked how you talked about the work of ethnomusicologists helping the teacher and students learn how to perform the music. Music is created in various ways and through their research we can be provided with information about how different cultures produce their music.
ReplyDeleteThere is a Zydeco music society here in Minneapolis and one of the bands performs at the park across the street from our house. My daughter loves dancing to this music, so we take her to listen every Tuesday night. None of the performers in the band are native players, they have all attended workshops and camps to learn the musical tradition. I was interested in finding the music performed by more authentic musicians (not that non-native musicians aren't authentic, I just don't really know the right words to use).
DeleteSung in Creole-French. Neat piece.
ReplyDeleteI am so excited you chose to share Zydeco! The culture of the Creole people runs deep and is so full of life. The people of the culture are so inviting and hospitable. Although I am not from Louisiana, I was luck to spend a few days in south Louisiana each summer while I participated in drum corps. Even though the weather is less than desirable during the summer, the people are amazing. They were always helpful and even volunteered to cook traditional Creole food for the entire corps. Each summer the members of the community would cook jambalaya, boudin, and gumbo for the drum corps members. I think that the music expresses their sense of community. You can't hear Zydeco music and not want to dance! Zydeco brings people together and gives them a reason to come together and share in the community. Thank you for sharing such a great part of American culture.
ReplyDeleteWhere did you march?
Delete